A psychologist is a doctor who specialises in studying people's normal and abnormal behaviours, thoughts, emotions, functioning, and personality (how a person feels, thinks, and behaves) while carefully observing, interpreting, and documenting how these people interact with the environs and with one another. Moreover, psychologists treat mental disorders with a magnitude ranging from mild to severe with the help of behavioural therapy and cognitive process.
Psychologists are not allowed to prescribe medications.
A psychology doctor can be available for psychologist consultation online or for an individual or group session.
Common mental health conditions
The absence of a disease in the body merely is not a healthy state; complete social, physical, and mental well-being together define a healthy state in humans.
Abnormality in a person’s way of thinking, feeling, and behaving can be characterised as a psychological or mental illness. Conditions such as stress, excessive sleep or sleep deprivation, anxiety, depression, and psychosis can be associated with a psychological disorder or a mental illness. Additionally, the severity of the mental illness or disorders is different for different individuals.
You are not alone if you suspect you have a psychological disorder or mental illness. Many people suffering from psychological disorders can recover, especially if they start treatment early and take an active role in the recovery.
The signs and symptoms of some common psychological disorders are listed below:
- Depression: This may present as feeling lethargic, changes in appetite and sleep, suicidal thoughts, difficulty concentrating, feeling of hopelessness, body aches, and pain. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms for more than two weeks, you should consult a psychologist.
- Anxiety: An anxious person shows symptoms such as lack of concentration, irritability, sleep issues, fatigue, muscle tension, phobias, and panic attacks. If you think that you are experiencing any of these symptoms that are worsening, it is advised to consult a psychologist doctor as soon as possible.
- Stress disorder: This disorder may include obsessive-compulsive disorder and post-traumatic disorder. These conditions require psychological treatments. If you suffer from any of these, you should consider a psychological consultation.
- Schizophrenia and psychosis: Patients may present with signs of hallucination, disordered thoughts, and delusions. If you think you are experiencing these symptoms consult a psychologist right away.
- Sleep disorders: In this disorder, you may experience insomnia (lack of sleep) or sleep apnoea (sleep disturbances).
- Eating disorders: This includes anorexia nervosa (deliberate restriction of food intake), bulimia nervosa (abnormally high amounts of foods followed by forced vomiting or forced fasting), and binge-eating disorder.