Table of Contents
Taking in a lungful of air is crucial to your body’s normal functioning. Clear breathing allows you to take in the required oxygen for your lungs and other organs to work optimally. However, you might suffer from a condition that makes breathing difficult and interrupts your daily life. Asthma disease is one such illness that affects how air travels through the airways of your lungs. If you suffer from asthma, your airways tend to get inflamed and narrow in size. Thus, breathing becomes difficult.
Cost of Asthma Tests
When it comes to the diagnosis of asthma disorder, medical professionals rely on a combination of observing your symptoms and asking you to undergo certain tests for confirmation. The first step to getting an asthma disorder diagnosis is to visit a general physician. When you visit a doctor, they inquire about your medical history. Next, the doctor might prescribe certain tests to ascertain whether or not you have asthma disorder.
Some of the most commonly used tests for asthma disorder are as follows:
• FeNO test: The test entails the patient breathing into a machine that is used to measure the levels of nitric oxide present in each breath. Nitric oxide levels help with the detection of inflammation in your lungs.
Cost: In India, FeNo test prices begin from Rs 300.
- Spirometry: This procedure consists of a patient blowing into a machine that measures how fast one can exhale and how much air can be held in the lungs.
Cost: The price of a spirometry test in India can start from Rs 750.
- Peak Flow Test: The patient is required to blow into a handheld device that is used to measure how fast one can exhale. This test is used several times over the course of a few weeks to see if the results alter.
- Cost: You can administer a peak flow test at home with a handheld device retailing
between Rs 450 to Rs 15,000.
Apart from these tests, you might also have to undergo imaging tests:
- Chest Radiography: Chest radiography, also known as X-rays, are instrumental when it comes to the chronic management of asthma. It also provides your doctor with information related to severe asthma occurring in an acute setting.
Cost: In India, a standard chest X-ray costs anywhere between Rs 350 to Rs 800.
- Chest CT: The chest CT is used to diagnose severe asthma and related complications / conditions. It is the gold standard when it comes to diagnosing pneumothorax and is of immense help to patients suffering from severe asthma.
- Cost: A chest CT in India may range between Rs 4,500 to Rs 6,000.
- MRI: Similarly, MRIs are also used by medical professionals to procure images that help better assess a patient’s asthmatic condition, especially with regards to ventilation defects.
- Cost: A chest MRI price begins at Rs 10,000 and can go up to Rs 15,000.
Do note that the test prices may vary based on factors such as location, hospital charges, technicians’ fees, and so on. Ensure due diligence to pick a lab, clinic, or hospital for booking a test that most aligns with your medical needs and financial capabilities.
Test Price for Asthma FAQs
What is the asthma test price?
The asthma test price will depend on which type of test your doctor prescribes. Additionally, asthma test prices also depends on which area of the country you live in and whether you are opting for a public or private institution to get the tests done. Plus, if you insurance policy covers asthma test prices, then you will have bear reduced expenses for the same, if any. An asthma test price can start from Rs 750 onwards in key metro cities.
What is the cost of lung function test?
Lung function tests in India cost around Rs 800 to Rs 1,000. However, the prices may vary depending on the location and laboratory chosen.
What is the cost of asthma test in India?
The cost of asthma tests will differ as per what is prescribed by your doctor. Also, while the cost will differ from case to case, general ballpark figures can range from Rs 750 to Rs 1,000 in India. The FeNO test prices can vary across hospitals and is cheaper in Tier II and III areas. In larger metropolitan cities across India, a FeNO tests cost can start from Rs 300.
Can a blood test confirm asthma?
Yes, certain blood tests are used to help in achieving an asthma diagnosis. The tests detect signs of inflammation in the blood.