Haemorrhoids, also known as piles, are a common but troublesome disease. Technology now allows doctors to perform laser surgeries without cutting any tissues—piles laser treatment—for this condition. You’ll learn about the surgery, tips to heal fast, and the factors influencing laser haemorrhoid surgery costs in India, which averages about INR 50,000 in cities like Delhi and Mumbai.
Piles and the types of piles
Haemorrhoids are a very common disease of the digestive system, and a lot of people develop them during some point in their lives irrespective of the gender. In piles, the blood vessels in the anal region swell and become irritated, leading to haemorrhoids. In some cases, these haemorrhoids can grow out to block the rectum (muscular tube at the end of large intestines) and not allow stool to pass.
Depending on their location, haemorrhoids are classified as internal haemorrhoids (occurring inside the rectum) and external haemorrhoids (occurring outside the rectum).
Piles treatment options
There are numerous treatment options available for piles, including home remedies, non-surgical methods, and surgical approaches. However, haemorrhoids usually go away on their own, but people should confirm the diagnosis with their doctor first as the symptoms of piles resemble those of other severe diseases such as colon cancer.
The following treatment options are most common choices for people with piles:
- Rubber band litigation
- Laser treatment for piles
- Haemorrhoid stapling
Sometimes, a doctor will recommend over-the-counter medication, such as a numbing cream or a pain blocker, to alleviate the symptoms.
Laser treatment procedure
This is one of the most preferred treatment options for piles today as it is a non-invasive outpatient treatment, which means that it involves no cuts, and the patient may be able to go home the same day. The doctor will decide a mutually agreed date and time for the procedure.
When the patient arrives at the hospital for the surgery, the medical staff will check the patient’s vitals and prepare them for the surgical procedure. The doctor will start with a local anaesthesia that will leave the patient conscious, but they won’t be able to feel any pain or discomfort. The surgery is performed using a pen-like tool that emits laser beams on the doctor’s commands. Using this tool, the doctor will burn the haemorrhoids, which will cause them to shrink and maybe fall off later. Ideally, there is no bleeding during the surgery, but the doctors will end the surgery only when they ensure the absence of bleeding. Afterwards, the doctor begins dressing the area with a cotton dressing pad—anal pack; this can be removed the next day by a medical staff or by patient at home.
Things to know about piles laser treatment
Knowing the following will help people better prepare for the surgery and recover fast:
- The patients are not supposed to eat or drink anything at least 8 hours before the surgery.
- The patients should bring a responsible person they trust with them who can make important decisions for the patient in case of an emergency.
- Experiencing headaches on moving the head is a common side-effect of local anaesthesia; the patient should try to not move the head too much for about 24 hours after the surgery.
- Due to the effects of anaesthesia, the patient will not be able to feel anything in the lower half of their body for up to 4–6 hours after the procedure.
- The diet that starts from water and fruit juices will gradually be increased to solid food.
- The patients will likely receive a prescription for antibiotics and pain blockers after the surgery.
- The patients will be educated about sitz baths—sitting in a tub of warm water to ease the discomfort in your anal region.
- The staff will also provide information some Kegel exercises to strengthen the pelvic muscles.
- The patient should avoid activities such as driving, operating heavy machinery for up to 2 days after the surgery.
Benefits of laser treatment for piles
Piles laser treatment has numerous benefits, including:
- As it is a non-invasive procedure, there is a very low risk of infection.
- The procedure is painless.
- There are none to minimal chances of post-surgical complications.
- The patient usually recovers quickly after the surgery.
- The procedure leaves no traces as there is no scar formation.
- There is none to minimal damage to surrounding tissues/areas.
A doctor may recommend home remedies and other medication to treat the symptoms and avoid the surgery at early stages, but it is not a good idea to delay piles treatment as the condition can worsen, and the risk of developing diseases like anal fissures and anal fistulas can also increase.
Factors affecting laser treatment for piles price
The cost for piles laser treatment ranges from approximately INR 40,000 to 1,15,000 in India. Following are some of the key factors that affect piles laser treatment cost:
- Doctor’s consultation fee
Depending on the doctor chosen for treatment, the laser haemorrhoid surgery cost can be low or high. Specialists with more experience usually charge more than new doctors.
- Type of hospital
Not every hospital will have the required equipment for performing piles laser surgery; naturally, multi-speciality hospitals will charge more than normal hospitals.
- Investigative and diagnostic tests
Before any surgery the doctor orders a set of tests to check if the patient is fit enough for a surgery or not. The more past ailments a person has, the higher the number of tests (and their costs) will be.
- Patient’s other ailments
If a person has diseases, such as diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, AIDS, and/or HIV, laser piles surgery cost will accordingly increase.
The bottom line
Laser surgery for piles costs on average about INR 45,000 to 50,000, but you can check with your insurance provider (if you have a health insurance plan) to see if they cover the procedure; most insurance providers do cover this procedure.
Generally, people who undergo a laser surgery return to their daily lives within a day or two, but the full recovery may take up to 4–6 weeks depending on the person. You should follow the doctor’s advice, maintain a healthy lifestyle, and eat a balanced diet to prevent getting piles again.