There are many different reasons why someone’s eyes can turn red, and they can be really troublesome for anyone to deal with.
‘Red Eyes’, which are also known as ‘Pink Eyes’ or ‘Bloodshot eyes’, is a state where blood vessels in the eye get inflammation or irritation. Often, the condition of red eyes is not serious, and home remedies for red eyes can help a person resolve the problems caused by red eyes. It is very important to take care of red eyes as it can lead to many difficulties if not treated within the right time.
Causes For Red Eyes
Red eyes or bloodshot eyes happen due to the interference of external irritants in the eyes. Our eyes produce a chemical called histamine to combat the irritation caused by external irritants. Histamine causes the small blood vessels under the eye’s surface to widen and swell, which leads to red eyes. There are many environmental factors such as pollution, dust, smoke, chemical exposure, and overexposure to sunlight which can be the cause of red eyes.
Home Remedies for Red Eyes
Depending on the cause of red eyes, it can be treated at home. Some of the best home remedies for red eyes are –
1. Tea Bags – You might be surprised to know, but red eyes can help you against red eyes. Tea is high in flavonoids and tannins, which are anti-inflammatory and soothing properties of tea. They can help you get rid of red eyes. Refrigerate two tea bags for at least 30 minutes before using. After about an hour, remove them. Place the tea bags on your eyes while lying down on the bed, and your red eyes will start feeling much better.
2. Rinse – Simple rinse of the eyes can also work as a red-eye treatment at home. Rubbing your eyes is a bad idea when you have red eyes. It can make the condition even worse. Splash water in your eyes a few times to help relieve the inflammation and get rid of the irritant that is producing the redness in your eyes. Make use of saltwater and splash it over your eyes on a daily basis to get rid of red eyes.
3. Warm Compress – If you have red eyes because of an infection, soreness, or irritation, a warm compress can help you get relief from red eyes. The heat which is caused by warm compress will boost blood circulation in that region and cause tears to produce, which will assist in relieving eye dryness. They also work towards reducing blockage caused by stye. Dip a piece of cloth in warm water and wring it out to produce a warm compress at home.
4. Cold Compress – Cold compress is one of the best natural remedies for red eyes. A cold compress can tighten the skin around the eyes, allowing blood vessels to relax. As a result, the redness in the eye is reduced. Like warm-compress, it does not cure the infection but reduces the discomfort caused by red eyes.
5. Chilled Spoons – The use of chilled spoons on your eyes can work towards reducing the swelling caused by red eyes. The coldness of the spoon helps to relieve eye discomfort. All you have to do is dip a metal spoon in a glass of icy water and lay it on your eyelids for a few minutes, and you will instantly start seeing results.
6. Water – Increasing your water consumption when you are suffering from red eyes can also give you relief from the condition. The blood vessels in front of your eyes will operate more efficiently if you keep your body hydrated. Water also aids in the elimination of toxins from the body. Even in general, water should be consumed at regular times. You can also drink lemon water or other types of flavoured water.
7. Cucumber – The application of cucumber on red eyes is a natural red eye treatment at home. Cucumber aids in the treatment of red eyes by shrinking the blood vessels in the eyes. Cucumber’s anti-inflammatory qualities also aid in the reduction of puffiness caused by red eyes.
8. Rose Water – The use of rose water can improve the condition of your red eyes and give you other benefits as well. When used in your eyes, rose water has a calming effect. Rosewater has anti-inflammatory qualities that help to lessen eye discomfort caused by red eyes. You can soak cotton pads in rose water and apply them to your red eyes for 15-20 minutes.
9. Washing Of Linens – When you are suffering from eye infections such as conjunctivitis, which causes red eyes, it is important to wash your pillowcases and towels on a daily basis. Pillowcases and towels come in contact with your eyes, and they can spread the infection to your other eye as well or even make it worse in some cases.
10. Not Using Makeup – If you have red eyes because of an infection or other condition, it is very important not to make use of any kind of makeup. Uses of eye makeup such as eyeliner or eye shadow when you have an infected eye increase the chances of re-infection.
11. Blinking More – Simple blinking of eyes can also help you get rid of red eyes. Blinking your eyes regularly can keep your eyes moist and possibly help you get rid of any kind of irritants that might cause red eyes. It’s a pretty easy approach to get rid of red eyes. You just have to blink your eyes. Blinking your eyes protects the eyes from dryness, which is one of the reasons why eyes become red. Blinking your eyes regularly might also assist in alleviating eye strain symptoms.
In most cases, red eyes are not serious, and with the help of home remedies, they can be treated without any issues. However, if you feel like home remedies for red eyes are not improving the condition of your eyes, and you can see discharge coming out of your eyes or the pain increasing, it is important to consult a doctor. Infections can cause serious damage to your eyes, and they need proper medical attention in order to be treated.