Those tiny flakes called dandruff can hit hard on your confidence and self-esteem, especially when they are utterly visible in any black attire you wear. The medical condition of having constant dandruff is known as seborrhoea, and apart from weakening your confidence, this condition can leave your scalp extremely vulnerable. The main reasons behind dandruff can be attributed to poor hair brushing, dry skin, and excessive stress.
If you have ever experienced dandruff, you know how terrifying it gets, and you’re left struggling to find quick solutions. Luckily, several home remedies work wonders for the condition of dandruff, given that the condition is not extremely severe.
Home Remedies for Dandruff
- Tea tree oil
- Aloe vera
- Baking soda
- Lemon juice
- Apple cider vinegar
- Coconut Oil
- Have a healthy diet
- Actively manage your stress
In cases with extremely severe seborrhoea, you are advised to take medical consultation to resolve the problem. For everybody else, here are some home remedies to help you naturally get rid of dandruff:
1. Neem: Neem has many antibacterial and antifungal properties that make it a go-to choice for various skin issues. It is also an active ingredient in many anti-dandruff shampoos, making neem a perfect home remedy for treating dandruff. Use it as a hair mask, mix it with curd to make a mixture, or just chew neem leaves every morning and eliminate dandruff naturally. To get the best results, look for making neem oil using the following steps:
- Add a few fresh leaves to a little bit of coconut oil.
- Boil the mixture and add in a few drops of lemon.
- Gently rub this mixture on your scalp and let it be there overnight.
- Wash it off thoroughly in the morning.
2. Tea tree oil: Tea tree oil is one of the most effective home remedies for dandruff or dry scalp. Simply add a few drops of natural tea tree oil to your regular shampoo and wash your hair like you normally do. Being completely natural, tea tree oil is not only 100% safe but also tried and tested when it comes to treating dandruff naturally at home.
3. Aloe vera: Aloe vera, like neem and tea tree oil, comes bundled with lots of antibacterial and antifungal properties that are widely used for various remedies, including home remedies for dandruff. Aloe vera gently exfoliates the scalp and makes it easier to fight dandruff. The best way to use it would be to directly apply fresh aloe vera to your scalp and wash it off with a good anti-dandruff shampoo. Aloe vera provides the best dandruff treatment and even offers relief from an irritated scalp.
4. Baking soda: Baking soda works for removing dead skin cells as well as for exfoliating the scalp, which makes it an amazing home remedy for fighting dandruff. Simply add some baking soda to your regular shampoo and continue washing your hair normally to experience the benefits of baking soda for naturally getting rid of dandruff.
5. Lemon juice: Fungus and bacteria are one of the most common reasons behind dandruff. Fresh lemon juice contains essential acids that help break down the fungus and bacteria, which then helps get rid of dandruff naturally. Further, since there is no additional chemical included in this method, it won’t cause any irritation or any further damage to the scalp. Here’s how you can use fresh lemon juice to fight off dandruff effectively:
- Massage three spoons of fresh lemon juice into your scalp.
- Let it sit for a while, then add one tablespoon of lemon juice to one cup of lukewarm water and rinse your hair using the mixture.
- Repeat this process before every shower for quick results.
6. Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar offers instant relief from itchy and irritating scalps by easily breaking down the dandruff-causing bacterias. Simply dilute the vinegar in warm water in equal parts for best results – and simply use this mixture instead of your shampoo! Apart from that, apple cider vinegar also helps in getting rid of dead skin cells, which further aids in fighting against dandruff and ensuring they never return.
7. Coconut Oil: Coconut oil has forever been one of the most preferred home remedies for naturally fighting dandruff. Coconut oil improves hydration, nourishes hair, reduces bacteria and fungus, and even prevents scalp irritation, making it the perfect solution for getting rid of dandruff naturally. You can either use naturally occurring coconut oil and apply it to your scalp before shampooing it off, or you can just find a shampoo containing good quantities of coconut oil!
8. Have a healthy diet: Having an unhealthy diet directly impacts your health in more ways than one and can lead to different skin disorders, including dandruff. This is not a remedy, so to say, but something that you can easily inculcate in your daily routine to fight dandruff easily. Ensure you are having proper meals with sufficient nutritional content. Eat various fruits, vegetables, nuts, and other natural sources of nutrients, antioxidants, and vitamins, to maintain a healthy scalp and stay away from dandruff.
9. Actively manage your stress: Stress plays a major role in triggering and even worsening dandruff. Even though stress might not literally cause dandruff, it can promote symptoms like itching and dryness. Further, stress is known to worsen your body’s immune system, which negatively impacts dandruff. Therefore, taking care of your stress levels and monitoring your mental health is important for ensuring dandruff-like symptoms don’t blow up.
In conclusion, dandruff is a terrible problem to have. But luckily, it isn’t an unsolvable problem. If you are not experiencing severe dandruff conditions, the above-mentioned home remedies will help you defend yourself against dandruff, keeping your scalp healthy and hydrated!