Rajni is a newly-wed woman living in Indore. Ever since she got married, she is getting invitations for dinners and lunches from near and dear. She is fond of eating food but now for a few days she feels her stomach aches and she is passing gas all the time for hours after she has a meal. She tried many home remedies for stomach aches and to beat the gas issue, but it was later that her mother-in-law explained that she needs to avoid foods that cause bloating because she is most likely suffering from bloating and gas issues.
Bloating is a health condition where your stomach feels full and heavy due to gas accumulation. Although the problem of bloating is often noticed in old people, due to wrong eating habits, it is now common amongst youngsters too.
So, let’s dig deeper to first understand the main bloating causes to identify the best bloating treatment for relief.
Common Bloating Symptoms
Have a look at some of the common bloating symptoms to identify that you have nothing but a bloating issue:
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach feeling full all the time
- Passing gas
- Stomach swelling
Common Bloating Causes
Let us now disclose the main causes of bloating to resolve the issue better:
1. Constipation: The prime cause of bloating revealed by experts is constipation. Having fewer bowel movements leads to constipation, which ultimately leads to bloating.
2. Gut Sensitivity: Second common reason for bloating is gut sensitivity. Due to gut sensitivity, one may experience pain, diarrhea, and even cramping in the stomach.
3. SIBO or Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth: Sometimes lack of bacteria in the small intestine leads to issues like bloating.
4. Gastroparesis: Another common cause of bloating or gas in the stomach is gastroparesis. This is a condition where one experiences nausea along with bloating due to a delay in emptying the stomach.
5. Gynecological Reasons: Besides, bloating is often caused due to gynecological reasons in women. Women with some issues in the uterus or ovaries also tend to experience bloating symptoms.
Best Bloating Treatment Options
1. Avoid Foods that cause Bloating: One of the best ways to treat the problem of bloating is by avoiding certain foods that cause bloating. It is because this stomach issue is often triggered due to some foods and beverages like garlic, onion, cruciferous vegetables, wheat, fizzy drinks, alcohol, dairy products, and whole grains.
2. Include Foods that prevent Bloating: Similarly, we have some food items that can help prevent bloating to a great extent. Make sure your diet includes foods like eggs, peppermint tea, apple cider vinegar, chamomile tea, green tea, grapes, melons, and lean meat or protein.
3. Follow a FODMAP Diet: Another bloating treatment that can help prevent gas in the stomach is a low FODMAP diet. A FODMAP diet excludes the intake of gas-generating food items that have any of these following substances like Disaccharides, Oligosaccharides, Polyols, and Monosaccharides.
4. Fiber-Rich Diet: Those suffering from bloating and gas issues must try to gorge upon a fiber-rich diet. It is because fiber or roughage helps in digestion and eases bowel movements too. The body doesn’t have to work hard to digest fiber-rich food and as a result, you will be able to prevent bloating to a great extent.
5. Move Around: The problem of bloating can be reduced significantly by moving around and allowing the food to push through the intestine faster. This can be done by walking and not lying immediately after having a meal. A light walk after a meal helps release endorphins that not only help to relieve stress but also regulate the intestine and gut.
6. Do Regular Kegels: Exercises like Kegels will help strengthen pelvic floor muscles. This will help you control your gas issue and you will be able to refrain from passing out gas publicly. You may start with a few Kegels per day and increase it gradually to see the gas control coming in your hand.
7. Chew Your Food Properly: In ancient times, people used to believe that chewing your food 32 times makes it easy for the intestine to digest it. However, no one pays attention to chewing the food properly, and as a result problems like bloating are experienced. So, if you want to keep bloating away, try to chew your food properly and don’t just gulp it all up.
8. Eat Smaller Portions: Another bloating treatment that anyone can do and see the difference is to eat smaller portions at a time. The trick should be to eat a small quantity of food at a time may be at frequent intervals. So, the body is not loaded with the burden to digest it all in one go and you are saved from the problem of gas or bloating.
9. Over-The-Counter Medicines: If despite following all the above-mentioned tricks, you are not able to see any relief from your bloating symptoms, then you can seek relief with OTC medicines. Some of the medicines for bloating are Pepto Bismol, Activated Charcoal, Beano, Simethicone, and Lactase Enzyme.
10. Herbal Tea and Spices: Last of all, it is always advisable to keep issues of bloating at bay by using natural herbs and spices like fennel, turmeric, ginger, anise, caraway, coriander. Besides, try drinking at least two cups of herbal teas like chamomile tea, peppermint tea, and green tea to get relief in your digestive issues like bloating.
The Bottom Line
Bloating is one of the most common gastrointestinal problems faced by people all across the globe. At times it leads to farting in public, which could be really embarrassing as well as painful too. A person suffering from this issue must identify the bloating symptoms and their causes. This will help him/her with an effective bloating treatment. Try not to let this problem turn into a severe condition by making suitable diet and lifestyle changes.