Scientists believe that the global pandemic situation of COVID-19 is likely to stay, making it endemic. This suggests that the COVID-19 infection will always remain at a baseline level amid the population. The entire global population needs to adapt and co-exist with the coronavirus while taking preliminary precautions like vaccination, good hygiene, minimal social contact, and immunity boosters. Additionally, improving individual health and boosting immunity is one of the ways to gain more assurance. Exposure to the COVID-19 virus is imminent.
Diet and nutrition play a core role in improving natural health and in boosting immunity. Unhealthy diets were proven to increase the risks of COVID-19 infection and increase its impact to the point of death. The severity of COVID-19 infection was drastically higher in people who did not follow healthy diets.
20 Foods That Improve Immunity Against Covid-19
A strong immunity system keeps a person healthy, and healthy immunity food increases the agility of the immunity system. Maintaining highly nutritious and balanced diets is crucial to building immunity, coupled with regular hydration, physical activity, and sufficient sleep and rest periods.
During these trying times, including immunity booster food in your diet can go a long way in helping improve immunity. Some of the most common foods that increase immunity are listed below:
- Turmeric – The brilliant spice has several health benefits and is a known immunity booster. The curcumin component in turmeric decreases muscle damage during times of high strain and sickness. It has been known for its anti-bacterial and anti-viral features, is used as a disinfectant for external wounds, and its anti-inflammatory properties are used for treating arthritis.
- Garlic – The incredible flavoring agent excels in helping greatly in boosting immunity during covid-19 and is known to improve heart health, blood flow, oxygen absorption rates, and helps lower blood pressure. Allicin and other sulfur components in garlic boost immunity and have anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-septic features.
- Ginger – It has been used to treat cold, sore throat, and nausea for several centuries. Ginger is known to decrease chronic pain and even lower cholesterol and hypertension. It has inflammatory properties and antioxidants that improve blood health and WBC count, boosting immunity.
- Onions – It is an immunity food that maintains gut health which increases immunity and develops a natural resistance to infections. Ancient traditions include eating raw onions for better digestion and immunity. It is high in vitamin C, and vitamin B improves tissue repair rate and iron absorption. There is research leaning towards the onion having anti-cancerous properties.
- Citrus fruits – Vitamin C is the key component of all citrus fruits, and vitamin C is a known immunity booster, especially against cold infections. The recommended amount of Vitamin C consumption for women is 75mg and for men is 90mg. It stimulates white blood cell production and prevents iron deficiencies. Lemon, grapefruit, orange, mandarin, and clementine are some commonly found citrus fruits.
- Spinach – It is known for its rich iron content, vitamin C dose, antioxidants, and beta carotene, and several immunity-boosting components. Consuming varieties of spinach daily improves blood circulation, gut health and clears out smooth digestion.
- Broccoli – Broccoli is known to have a variety of nutrients, including a high dosage of vitamin C, B1, B2, B3, B6, and other minerals like potassium, zinc, and magnesium. The high fiber and fatty acid content are great for blood and heart health. Capsules of broccoli were proven to have a better effect on COVID-19 patients.
- Blueberries – High concentration of vitamins A and C, potassium, manganese, and antioxidants in blueberries make them one of the top foods that increase immunity against COVID-19. Other berry varieties like strawberry, goji berry, cherries, and blackberries share similar properties.
- Indian gooseberry – The gooseberry is a popular immunity booster with high concentrations of vitamin C, antioxidants, and chromium. It is traditionally used to treat cold and viral infections.
- Sweet potatoes – The tuber is an active immunity booster and has energizing qualities, improves eyesight, brain health, and fights against obesity, diabetes, and heart diseases. It provides strength even in small quantities and is the perfect meal for COVID-19 patients.
- Green tea – The powerful antioxidant has been an active immunity booster used traditionally in several cultures for centuries. It inhibits bacterial and viral growth, improves blood circulation, and reduces bad cholesterol. L-theanine in green tea is known to boost white blood cell production.
- Pepper – Black pepper is rich in antioxidants, vitamin C, and immunity-boosting components. Antibacterial and antibiotic features make it the perfect remedy for sore throat, cold, and digestion. It is one of the top foods that increase immunity.
- Sunflower seeds – The high selenium content in sunflower seeds is a proven warrior that battles viral infections. It is loaded with nutrients like Vitamin E, vitamin B6, phosphorous, magnesium, and other components that regulate immunity.
- Almonds – The high vitamin E and C concentration in almonds make them an immunity food. Its antioxidants, minerals, and healthy oils have high health benefits. Consuming almonds daily is proven to provide the required quota of vitamin E for the average human body.
- Yogurt/Curd – It is a comfort food for many as curd can have a calming effect on the stomach in those not allergic to dairy. The good bacteria content is perfect for aiding digestion, improving body metabolism, and fighting against harmful microbes. Curd is a proven immunity booster that increases the infection-fighting capacity of the body.
- Papaya – Minerals and vitamin C dose in papaya, along with the high iron content, help with increasing immunity. It is great for digestion, has inflammatory properties, and is known to improve iron deficiencies too. Papaya induces healthy blood circulation and composition, which in turn supports immunity against COVID-19.
- Kiwi – It is rich in antioxidants and vitamin C, both of which are helpful with boosting immunity. Kiwi fruits are known to provide the ideal amount of vitamin C than the average human body requires.
- Poultry meat (chicken) – Vitamin B6 in poultry meat, especially chicken and turkey, supports red blood cell production. Well-cooked bone marrow helps white blood cell production. The high protein content provides the body with broken components for building anti-bodies, increases muscle strength and content. Other nutrients in poultry meat improve gut health and digestion.
- Omega-3 rich seafood – Omega 3 fatty acids are great for overall health. All shellfish, shrimp, and fish like salmon are rich sources of the same. Minerals like zinc and magnesium are also found in high traces and are a great food to increase immunity.
- Dark chocolate – More than 50% cacao content dark chocolate is perfect for improving gut health and immunity. It improves blood circulation and is an agreed immunity booster.
Eating properly and smartly is the first step to a natural immunity boost. All the supplements and artificially curated lab medicines cannot provide the same long-term immunity boost as healthy organic food.
Arranging for a balanced supply of immunity foods and booster foods is the best thing you can do for your body to gain more immunity. Avoid living in fear of COVID-19, risking your life and lifestyle. Remember to eat the listed food to increase immunity in appropriate quantities.