Alkaline water is the buzzing word in every nook and corner of the health and wellness industry, as people believe that this water expels waste and other toxins from your body. Many beverage companies are also touting the product and claiming the benefits of alkaline water in preventing many diseases like blood pressure, obesity, and cancer. Being tempted by alkaline water benefits, people often purchase some bottles of this water.
Is alkaline water good for health? Here, we are going to unravel some of the facts about this water.
What is Alkaline Water?
Alkaline water is a type of water that contains a higher pH than normal water. Regular water has a pH of 7 (neutral), but alkaline water comes up with a pH of 8 or 9. Alkaline water has many other pivotal components that make it popular among customers. Alkaline water contains many alkaline minerals and negative oxidation-reduction potential (ORP). ORP makes water act as a pro- or antioxidant. Water that has more negative ORP value comes up with more antioxidizing content.
What is Kangen Water?
Kangen water is ionized water that is made by Enagic’s Kangen water machine. This machine converts normal tap water into alkaline water.
Benefits of Kangen Water or Black Water
Alkaline water is a debated topic as many health experts believe that there is not adequate research that can establish health claims made by customers and sellers.
Let’s take a look at some of the studies that might be beneficial in establishing some claims.
- Deactivates Pepsin: A study was conducted in 2012 and it has been found that drinking naturally alkaline water with a pH of 8.8 will deactivate pepsin. This is the enzyme which is responsible for acid reflux. But more studies are required to establish this claim.
- Improves Stool: Another study was conducted by researchers in Japan in 2018 and it has been suggested that drinking alkaline electrolyzed water marginally improved stool in 60 contestants.
- Better Viscosity: Another study in 2016 on 100 participants established that there was a slight difference in whole blood viscosity after drinking high-pH water as compared to normal water after a vigorous workout. Viscosity determines how effectively blood flows through the vessels.
Participants who consumed high pH water had lessened viscosity by 6.3 per cent as compared to those (only 3.36 per cent) who consumed normal drinking water. This implies blood flowed more proficiently with alkaline water. This may improve oxygen delivery throughout the body.
But better-designed studies are required beyond these small studies.
Black alkaline water benefits are numerous despite inadequate scientific research. Alkaline water contains four minerals (calcium, magnesium, sodium, and potassium).
8 Amazing Health Benefits of Drinking Alkaline Water
However, there are 8 incredible health benefits to drinking alkaline water that have been scientifically proven and we are here to share them with you as mentioned below:-
- Good for Bones: Alkaline water improves bone health as it is rich in bicarbonate
- Cures Acid Reflux: Drinking alkaline water minimizes acid reflux as it has a pH between 8-9.
- Good for Colon: Alkaline water is crammed with pro-ageing and colon-cleansing properties.
- Boosts Immune System: Supports your immune system support in a natural way.
- Regulates Diabetes, Blood Pressure, Cholesterol: Drinking alkaline water reduces blood pressure, sugar, and cholesterol.
- Makes Your Skin Glow: Due to its detoxifying properties, it adds sheen to your skin.
- Aids in Weight Loss: Alkaline water is beneficial in weight loss.
- Keeps Cancer at Bay: Drinking alkaline water prevents the risk of cancer with its cancer resistance properties.
Normal carbonated drinks, and other soft drinks are extremely acidic and have very positive ORPs. That’s why these beverages may cause a lot of health problems. On the other hand, ionized and alkalinized water contains negative ORP.
How to get Alkaline Water?
You can conveniently purchase alkaline water from health food stores or departmental stores. You can also purchase it online.
You may make your own alkaline water at home. Add a few pH drops or baking soda to make water more alkaline. You need to properly filter the contaminants from water to make it drinkable.
Alkaline Water Side Effects
Alkaline drinking water is safe and can be consumed without any worry. No evidence suggests the negative effects of the water. Though alkaline water has a different pH than normal water, your body will make physiological changes to control the pH of the stomach levels and achieve homeostasis.
Alkaline water is safe, as it contains many natural minerals. But healthcare experts warn against all claims that are made by marketing companies.
However, while drinking artificial alkaline water, you should take precautions as this water contains fewer good minerals.
The Bottom Line
Alkaline water can be consumed by anyone but more studies are required to establish its health claims. Drink alkaline water moderately as excessive alkalinity may cause some problems in your GI tract and skin.
What is natural vs artificial alkaline water?
You will get natural alkaline water when water gets across the rocks and mixes with minerals. This enhances the level of alkalinity of the water. On the other hand, artificial alkaline water is prepared by a chemical process called electrolysis. An ionizer is used to elevate the pH level of regular water. The electricity is used to isolate molecules in the water that are more acidic or more alkaline.
Can I drink alkaline water empty stomach?
Never consume alkaline water with your food as your stomach requires acid, and the alkaline water will hold up the process. Thus, you can consume alkaline water thirty minutes before a meal and one and a half to two hours after meals.
Is alkaline water good for kidneys?
Due to the high concentration of sodium, alkaline water may lead to kidney stones. Alkaline water neutralizes the acid in your body and balances the pH level.
Does alkaline water cause headaches?
Headache can be another disadvantage of alkaline water if you consume it regularly. The severity may vary from person to person. These headaches are temporary and may persist for just a few hours.
Can diabetics drink alkaline water?
Diabetes is a disease when your blood glucose level goes beyond the normal. Diabetes may enhance your risks for other illnesses. Drinking alkaline ionized water is a way to prevent diabetes.