Almonds are one superfood full of all the essential nutrients needed by our body. High in protein, fat, fibre, magnesium, and Vitamin E, this wholesome nut can help you kickstart your day with oodles of energy. The list of benefits of almonds is endless, as almonds, also known as badam is good for your brain, digestion, heart, hair, and skin. California, Shalimar, Mukhdoom, Drake, Neplus, and Pranyaj are some popular varieties of almonds available in India and other parts of the world.
In this article, we aim to introduce you to the various uses of almonds along with information on almond nutrition. We will also help you understand the multifarious benefits of eating almonds or badam.
Nutritional Value of Almonds
Before digging deeper to understand the benefits of eating almonds, we will throw light on some almond nutrition facts. In a handful of badam, you will get the following nutrients:
- Calories: 165
- Fat: 14 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fibre: 3.5 g
Besides, almonds are rich in Vitamin E, magnesium, and Omega-3 Fatty acids along with antioxidants.
10 Incredible Health Benefits of Almonds
Having read about the list of vitamins and nutrients in almonds, we assume you must be eager to know the health benefits of almonds. So, have a look at the 10 top benefits of almonds:
- Almond is a Brain Booster Superfood: The ultimate benefit of eating almonds is that it boosts your brainpower. Perhaps, this is the reason right from childhood, children are given soaked almonds saying they will sharpen their memory.
- Badam Aids in Digestion: Second amazing health benefit of eating badam is that it helps in proper digestion. Eating 5-6 almonds daily is good for your gastrointestinal tract and prevents constipation.
- Good for Heart Health: Eat a handful of almonds daily to keep your heart healthy. Almonds are rich in Vitamin E and other essential nutrients that help prevent heart diseases.
- Regulates Cholesterol Levels: Likewise, eating almonds is good for regulating your cholesterol levels. Some studies revealed that almonds possess some natural compounds that help to reduce LDL or bad cholesterol levels.
- Regulates Blood Pressure Levels: Not just cholesterol levels, those who eat almonds daily can regulate their blood pressure levels too. It is because, almonds are loaded with magnesium, which is a key nutrient to lower the blood pressure level.
- Keeps Diabetes Under Control: Almond is a miraculous nut to keep diabetes at bay. Starting a day with a bowl of breakfast cereal sprinkled with almonds helps to regular blood sugar levels. When added to cereals, almonds help in slowing down the carbohydrate absorption by the body.
- Eat Almonds for Weight Loss: The list of health benefits of almonds doesn’t end here. Eating almonds help to curb food cravings. As a result, your calorie intake decreases leading to weight loss. The unique nutrient composition of almonds is extremely beneficial for maintaining a healthy weight despite its high fat content.
- Hydrates and Moisturizes Skin: Get an instant solution to your dry and dull skin by using a few drops of almond oil mixed with some essential oil. The results will surprise you, as almond oil is rich in Vitamin E, which helps to get glowing skin.
- Strengthens Hair and Make them Shine: Not just raw almonds, even the oil of this sumptuous nut is full of goodness. Use almond oil to add shine and strength to your dull and brittle hair. Perhaps, this is the reason that many hair products boast to have almond oil as one of their main ingredients.
- Almond Benefits for Men: Eating almonds every day is beneficial for men. Being a rich source of protein, omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, and fibre, almonds help in improving the sexual health of men. Just adding about 50 grams of almonds to a daily diet can help men enhance their libido.
Additionally, almonds are loaded with antioxidants that help with oxidative stress in the body (oxidative stress contributes to aging and diseases like cancer). There is enough evidence to support that the consumption of 50–60 g of almonds daily reduces the markers of inflammation. However, to enjoy the anti-inflammatory benefits of almonds, you have to eat them with the skin. This is because the brown outer layer of almonds contains majority of its antioxidants.
Side Effects of Almonds (Badam)
Having read about the various benefits of almonds is not enough unless you learn about some of its side effects too. So that you eat these nuts in moderate amounts. Some side effects of eating almonds are:
- Eating almonds may trigger allergies
- It may cause constipation
- Eating too many almonds may lead to kidney stones
- Overeating almonds may cause an overdose of Vitamin E
- May lead to weight gain if eaten in excess
The Bottom Line
As we said the list of benefits of almonds is endless, beside the above-mentioned health benefits, almonds help to prevent cancer. When eaten daily in the recommended dose, almonds are good for your bone health as well. On top of it, almonds serve as a nice and crunchy snack on the go for us in today’s busy life schedule.
You might like to soak almonds overnight, roast them with some salt, roast them with added ghee, or just eat them raw; irrespective of the preparation method, make sure to make this superfood a part of your diet.
Health Benefits Of Almonds FAQs
What is the best time to eat almonds?
The best time to eat almonds is in the morning. You must try consuming any kind of nut in the morning because it will energise you for the whole day. Eating almonds in the morning helps to boost your metabolism. However, if you don’t have the time or don’t feel like it, you can always include almonds in your meals as a salad topping or eat them as snacks.
How many almonds should I eat in a day?
The recommended number of almonds an adult can eat in a day is 4 to 5. Eating more than 5 almonds may lead to weight gain and other side effects in the long run because almonds are high in calories.
Why eat almonds soaked in water?
Eating soaked almonds makes them softer and more buttery in taste. Moreover, eating almonds soaked in water make them more digestible than raw almonds. As a result, your body gets to absorb all the nutrients easily as compared to eating dry almonds.
Who should not eat almonds?
People who have difficulty swallowing or chewing almonds must avoid this nutritious nut. Besides, those prone to choking hazards must avoid eating almonds.
Which is healthier: an almond or a walnut?
Both almonds and walnuts are healthy nuts. Almonds are better than walnuts in terms of protein, carbohydrates, and protein content. Walnuts are better than almonds in terms of better content of omega-3 fatty acids like ALA or Alpha-Linolenic Acid. Using this information, you can make a choice for yourself based on your taste buds.
Are almonds good for men's health?
Yes, there are numerous almond benefits for men, as they are a rich source of nutrients that can improve a man’s sexual health in addition to providing them with other health advantages. Consuming almonds can improve the sperm count, sperm health, and motility due to the presence of omega-3 fatty acids and zinc. Almonds not only improve the sexual health of men, but also improve their skin and hair health.
If you have a family history of diabetes and/or heart ailments, you can consider including almonds in your daily diet to lower the risk of such diseases and enjoy other health benefits of almonds.
What health benefits do almonds have?
Listed below are some of the most prominent health benefits of almonds:
• Almonds are superfoods, that is, they contain a good amount of nutrients in comparison with their size; thus, eating a handful of them can improve your health.
• Loaded with antioxidants, almonds reduce the oxidative stress and lower inflammation in the body.
• Almonds are one of the best sources of vitamin E, which can reduce your risk of getting a heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and cancer.
• Almonds help in maintaining the healthy levels of blood sugar, which makes them an excellent nutrition source for people with diabetes.
• As a good source of magnesium, almonds also benefit in managing high blood pressure.
• Almonds are known to reduce the bad cholesterol levels in the body.