An earache is a pain in the ear. It is a common problem that can happen in one or both ears. An earache may be caused by a number of things, such as an infection, wax build-up, or air pressure changes. Ear pain can also be a sign of something more serious, such as an ear infection, which may need to be treated with antibiotics.
Read on for some home remedies and other helpful advice for treating the discomfort of an earache:
1. Taking a Pain Reliever: Aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), or acetaminophen (Tylenol) can help relieve some of the pain associated with an earache. Follow the dosage instructions on the package label to find out how much medication you should take.
2. Use a Hot Pack: A hot pack can help relieve ear pain. Heat relaxes the muscles in your body, which may help reduce any discomfort you’re feeling.
3. Use a Cold Pack: A cold pack can also bring relief if you have an earache. Putting cold packs or ice wrapped in a cloth on the outside of your face around your ears for 15 to 20 Ibuprofen (Advil) or Acetaminophen
4. Put a Few Drops of Warm Olive Oil in Your Ear: Warm olive oil can help soften any wax that may be blocking your ear canal and causing pain. Put a few drops of warm olive oil into your ear, let it sit for a few minutes, then use a cotton ball to soak up the oil. This will help remove the wax from your ear. However, if you have a perforated eardrum or any type of infection, warm oil may cause additional pain and damage to your ear. In this case, skip this remedy.
5. Use a Warm Compress: A warm compress can also be used at home to treat an earache. Heat has a natural painkilling effect, which can help reduce the discomfort associated with an earache. You can make a warm compress at home by taking a clean washcloth and soaking it in warm (not hot) water. Wring the excess water from the cloth and put it over your ear for 10 to 15 minutes. Make sure that the compress is not too hot, or it may cause further discomfort.
6. Put a Few Drops of Garlic Oil in Your Ear: Garlic oil has antimicrobial and analgesic qualities which can help reduce the pain and inflammation associated with an earache. To use, put a few drops of garlic oil into your ear, let it sit for a few minutes, then use a cotton ball to soak up the oil.
7. Use a Tea Bag: Teabags can also be used to treat an earache. The tannins in tea have anti-inflammatory properties, which may help reduce the pain and swelling associated with an earache. To use, wet a tea bag with warm water, squeeze out the excess liquid, and place the tea bag over the infected ear. The warmth of the tea bag may also help to reduce pain.
8. Use a Hot Towel: Taking a hot shower or using a hot towel can provide relief if you have an earache. The heat that is created when you take a hot shower or use a towel can increase blood flow to the area, helping reduce any pain you’re feeling.
9. Use an Oil Blotter: An oil blotter can help remove excess moisture from your ear canal and provide relief if you have an earache. To use, take an oil blotting sheet (like those used to blot excess oil from your face) and place it over the infected ear. Leave it in place for a few minutes, then remove it.
10. Take Nasal Decongestants: If you have an earache and are congested, nasal decongestants can help clear your nasal passages and provide relief. However, if you are pregnant or have high blood pressure, check with your doctor before taking nasal decongestants.
11. See a Doctor If the Pain Continues: If the pain persists or gets worse after trying any of the remedies listed above, see a doctor. You may have an ear infection, which may need to be treated with antibiotics.
Earache is the most common health problem that occurs in children, yet it is also one of the most troubling problems. Earaches are usually caused by an infection or fluid buildup inside the ear. There are many home remedies available to ease this pain and discomfort. Most of these remedies contain ingredients that you probably already have at home.
We have listed some sinus ear pain home remedies
- Mix honey with 1 tablespoon of cinnamon. Heat this mixture in the microwave for 15 seconds then put a couple of drops into your child’s ear that is experiencing pain or discomfort.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of garlic with 1/4 cup of olive oil. Heat this mixture until it turns brown, then cool it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. Put a couple of drops of this mixture in your child’s ear that is experiencing pain or discomfort.
- Mix 4 tablespoons of vinegar with 1 teaspoon of mustard seed oil. Heat this mixture until it turns brown, then cool it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. Once cooled, put a few drops into your child’s ear that is experiencing pain or discomfort.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/2 a teaspoon of cayenne pepper in 1 cup of hot water. Allow your child to inhale the steam by putting their head over the cup for 5 minutes.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil in half a glass of hot water. Put a couple of drops into your child’s ear that is experiencing pain or discomfort.
Herbal earache remedies
- Mix a tablespoon of warm water and a teaspoon of garlic with the juice from half a lemon into a glass bowl. Dip cotton balls in this mixture then place one on each ear for 5 minutes.
- To create a herbal vapour rub, take 1 teaspoon of basil and mix it with 1 teaspoon of oils. Place the mixture on a cloth and allow the child to inhale the vapour by placing their head over it.
- When you have an earache, hug your knees to your chest as this helps relieve the pressure that is built up behind the eardrum.
- Mix one teaspoon of lavender, one teaspoon of chamomile, and 1/2 a teaspoon each of thyme and marjoram in a glass bowl. Add enough boiling water to the mixture then strain it into a mug once cooled. Allow your child to inhale the vapour by putting their head over the cup for 5 minutes.
- To create a herbal compress, steep 1 tablespoon of chamomile and 1 tablespoon of lavender in a cup of hot water for 10 minutes. Allow the child to soak a washcloth in this mixture then place it on their forehead, around the ear, and on the neck.
- Put a few drops of warm olive oil in your child’s ear once a day. This will help soothe and lubricate the ear canal to help relieve discomfort and pain caused by an infection.
- Mix one tablespoon of olive oil with 2 teaspoons of garlic in a glass bowl. Heat this mixture in the microwave for 15 seconds, then put a couple of drops into your child’s ear that is experiencing pain or discomfort.