Read on to learn more about the causes, remedies for stomach ache in this article.
7 Common Reasons for Stomach Upsets
Before getting into stomach pain remedies, you should know about the main causes behind the same as well. This will help you find stomach pain solutions more effectively in the bargain. Here is a list of common causes:
- Eating too fast or overeating
- Consumption of spicy and fast food
- Bowel obstruction
- Pathological reasons like hyperacidity, gastritis and so on
- Medication related indigestion issues
- Kidney stones
- Strangulation hernia
Symptoms of Stomach Upsets
The symptoms of stomach pain vary depending on its cause. Listed below are some of the common symptoms that you should note:
- Feeling extra full either during the meal or afterwards
- Feeling bloated
- Burning sensations in the upper abdomen and frequent belching
- Vomiting and Nausea
- Gas and farting
- Foul smelling breath
Top 8 Home Remedies for Stomach Pain Relief
Are you wondering how to cure stomach pain? Here is a list of home remedies for stomach aches and pain that you should check out:
Even though it sounds very simple, drinking water is one of the best home remedies for stomach aches. Our bodies require vital nutrients from water which also flushes out toxins. It also combats dehydration, which often leads to stomach pain and upsets, on account of diarrhoea and vomiting. Water also helps in diluting the acid in the digestive tract, enabling a soothing impact on the stomach.You may have heard doctors and nutritionists recommending to drink about 8 or more glasses of water daily, but this advice is often ignored. However, drinking about 8 glasses of water when you have stomach pain can actually help your body heal quickly.
- Lemon Water: Lemon water combats indigestion and discomfort in the abdomen. Small amounts of lemon juice mixed with water produces an alkaline effect when it’s digested, which helps in relieving extra stomach acidity.
- Baking Soda & Lemon Beverage: You can consume this mixture for relieving indigestion and stomach pain. The beverage leads to the production of carbonic acid within the stomach, thereby lowering gas and indigestion greatly. To prepare this drink, take about 200 mL or one glass of water, and add 1 teaspoon baking soda and a few drops of lemon juice to it. You can add ice cubes as well if you feel like or prepare this with cool water.
- Mint: Mint leaves have menthol which soothes the stomach and relieves indigestion. It also helps in lowering intestinal muscle spasms while reducing pain simultaneously. You can simply crush some fresh mint leaves and add it to a glass of water and drink it. If you want, you can add flavourings such as honey and/or lemon juice to this drink. Many people also take an over-the-counter medicine made of mint extracts and other things to help with their stomach pain.
- Ginger: Ginger has been used traditionally for tackling stomach pain, vomiting and nausea along with cough and cold. It has shogaols and gingerols which help in accelerating contractions in the stomach and reducing pain considerably. You can drink ginger juice, boil freshly shredded/pounded/chopped ginger in a glass of water and drink it, or add generous amounts of ginger to your meals.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon comes with rich antioxidants including linalool, camphor, cinnamaldehyde and Eugenol. It helps in better digestion along with combating symptoms such as extra abdominal fullness, nausea and bloating.
- Cumin: Cumin seeds help in soothing stomach upsets, especially if you desire results instantly. They help in lowering abdominal pain and hyperacidity. You can drink cumin infused water by boiling a teaspoon of cumin in one glass of water till its reduced to half or soak the same concoction overnight and drink in the morning.
- Bananas: Bananas come with folate, vitamins and potassium, contributing towards lower stomach acids and relief from hyperacidity as well. They also help in bulking up loose stools, thereby tackling diarrhoea. Eating banana when you have an upset stomach or stomach pain can help relieve the symptoms and restore your digestive health.
When to consult your doctor If you Have Stomach Pain
You should seek professional/medical assistance if you have stomach pain that does not go away or improve over many days. Some of the other conditions include the following:
- Appendicitis: This happens due to a swollen or inflamed appendix, leading to pain and aches in the stomach. The appendix will have to be removed through medical treatment and surgeries, necessitating instant medical consultation.
- Bleeding from Stomach Ulcers: Sores in the small intestines or stomach lining may lead to ulcers and eventual bleeding. You may find this condition worsening if it is not treated properly.
- Inflammation of the Gallbladder: Inflammation of the gallbladder happens due to gallstones which may lead to cholecystitis or similar conditions in the absence of instant medical supervision. Gallbladder removal may be necessary in such scenarios.
- Stones in the Kidneys: Stones are usually smaller and can be passed through urine. Yet, bigger ones may lead to tube blockages, leading to severe pain and aches in the stomach.
- Diverticulitis: This ailment leads to smaller bowel pockets that are inflamed and uncomfortable. Taking proper medication is always a must in these scenarios.
How do you relieve stomach pain?
You can relieve stomach pain by putting hot water bags on the abdomen as per your doctor’s advice, drinking water and fluids, taking a warm bath and lowering the consumption of alcohol, tea and coffee.
How do I know if my stomach pain is serious?
You should get medical assistance instantly if you have severe pain in the abdomen or pain linked to high fever. You should also consult your doctor if the pain continually changes its location or intensity levels.
What are the types of stomach pain?
There are several stomach pain types including a burning sensation in the upper stomach, jabbing sensations, sharper pain, general pain with diarrhea or general pain with bloating to name a few types.
How do you get rid of a stomach ache in 5 minutes?
You may sometimes get instant relief by using a hot water bottle, heating pad or hot towel over your abdomen and back. This may help in lowering stomach aches and pains swiftly.
How do I know if my stomach pain is gas?
You can identify stomach pain due to gas by noting symptoms like frequently passing gas, burping, cramping or pain in the abdomen, feeling fuller or experiencing abdominal pressure and also an increase in your abdomen size.
How to get rid of a stomachache fast without medicine?
Home remedies are the best option for stomach pain relief if you don’t want to consume any medicine. Here are some of the common home remedies recommended for people who have stomach pain:
• Drink more water
• Drink lemon and baking soda with water
• Consume water infused with mint, cinnamon, ginger, or cumin
• Eat bananas
• Use heat pads
Although home remedies work well in relieving stomach pain, you should consult a doctor if you are experiencing persistent or extreme stomach pain.
[…] There you can find 53772 additional Information to that Topic: livlong.com/blogs/health-and-wellness/best-home-remedies-for-stomach-pain […]
Comments are closed.