Mother earth has been generous to us by providing us with several nutrients in nature. One such mineral that offers a bundle of health benefits to one and all is boron. It is a mineral that is mainly found in nuts and our environment. Ever wondered what is there in boric acid, that your eye specialist recommends getting rid of an eye infection? It is boron that helps kill infection-causing bacteria. Men and women both can avail boron health benefits for different health issues like diabetes, hormonal imbalance, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, inflammation, and so on.
Let us acquaint you with the various boron benefits and also give you an insight into some common side effects of boron in this article.
Boron Fact Sheet
It is appropriate to call boron a trace element found in nature in the form of food and environment. Represented by the letter ‘B’, boron has an atomic number 5. It is dark and lustrous in its crystalline form and brown in its amorphous form. Although not classified as an essential nutrient for the human body, boron is beneficial for reproduction, metabolism, brain function, hormonal balance, and bone formation.
Boron Health Benefits
Boron is a natural substance that helps to enhance the role of estrogen, testosterone, and vitamin D in the human body. There are several other benefits of boron that make it a miraculous mineral found on earth. Let us understand some of its main health benefits:
- Promotes Bone and Joint Health: The prime benefit of boron is that it promotes your bone as well as joint health. This happens because this mineral interacts with Vitamin D, calcium, and magnesium, all these nutrients are the ones that are responsible for bone health.
- Prevents Osteoarthritis and Osteoporosis: Likewise, some researches revealed that boron is beneficial to prevent conditions like osteoarthritis and osteoporosis. If taken daily orally, boron supplements can increase bone mass density.
- Reduces Inflammation: Another advantage of using boron is that it helps reduce inflammation in the body. It is known to reduce some inflammatory triggers, also known as cytokines like TNF-a and hs-CRP. These cytokines are responsible for causing obesity, breast cancer, depression, and heart diseases.
- Good for Teeth and Gum Health: Up next, you must know that boron is very effective to improve your teeth and gum health. Not only does it improve bone health, but also helps repair tissues and reduce inflammation in the mouth. It is a mineral that helps prevent gum diseases naturally.
- Faster Wound Healing Properties: Boron exhibits superfast healing properties. A study conducted in the year 1990 revealed that boric acid treatment helps to speed up the healing of deep wounds. It is because it activates fibroblasts of tissues and skin.
Boron Health Benefits for Men
Men consider boron a boon for their health. Why is that so? Read on to understand the boron health benefits for men:
- Increases the Testosterone Levels: Boron helps to maintain a good level of testosterone androgen hormones in men. Besides, it can enhance the blood flow for a healthier sexual function. Experts recommend taking a boron supplement of 6 mg once daily to treat ED in men.
- Improves Cognitive Functions: If taken in the right doses, boron can also help to increase cognitive functions in men such as sharp memory and hand and eye coordination.
- Enhances Athletic Performance: One major benefit of boron is that it helps in enhancing athletic performance. It happens not because boron plays a role in increasing body or muscle mass, but because it helps increase testosterone levels in male athletes and bodybuilders.
Boron Health Benefits for Women
Boron is a mineral that proves beneficial for women’s health in several ways, let’s have a look at all those benefits:
- Treats Vaginal Yeast Infection: One of the recent uses of boron for women’s health is that it helps treat vaginal yeast infections. Suppository capsules formulated with boric acid when placed inside the vagina can offer relief from recurring vaginal yeast infection.
- Prevents Hormonal Imbalance: Women suffering from hormonal imbalance issues can also rely on the power of boron for maintaining a hormonal balance in their body. This is one mineral that tends to increase the levels of both estrogen and testosterone hormones.
- Relieves from Menstrual Cramps: Similarly, women can expect great relief from menstrual cramps by consuming boron supplements. Although there is no scientific evidence to prove this, boron is known to offer relief from menstrual cramps in women.
Side Effects of Boron
We feel that one shouldn’t only be aware of boron benefits, but also be aware of its side effects too. So, here is a list of some common side effects of boron that one may experience:
- Upper Abdominal Pain
- Green/Blue Discoloration of Feces
- Renal Impairment
Right Dosage of Boron
Experts recommend a maximum of 20 mg/day dosage of boron for adults above 19 years, 17 mg/ day dosage for young adults aged 14 to 18 years, 11 mg/day dosage of boron for kids aged 9 to 13 years, 6 mg/ day dosage of boron for kids aged 4 to 8 years, and 3 mg/ day dosage of boron for children between 1 to 3 years of age. Besides, the accurate dosage of boron will depend on the health condition for which your doctor is advising you to take this mineral.
The Bottom Line
Market and pharmaceutical stores are full of various boron supplements, so you must either consult a doctor to know which one to consume or research online. Boric acid is known to be the most absorbable form of boron, still, make sure to first identify for which health benefit you want to consume it, and then choose the best boron supplement accordingly.