Blueberries, as the name suggests, are blue in color. These delicious berries are full of nutritional value that is often missing in other fruits available to us. You find more than 15 types of anthocyanins, an essential antioxidant in blueberries. This sweet fruit offers surprising health benefits for your overall health, brain, heart, bones, and skin. One who is aware of various Blueberry benefits will definitely try to incorporate it into the diet. You will get a sufficient dose of plant compounds like Quercetin and Myricetin by eating a cup of blueberries.
Let us dig deeper to acquaint you with the unknown dried blueberry benefits and side effects of eating blueberries.
Nutritional Value of Blueberries
Check out what is there in this fruit, and we can’t resist recommending you the benefits of eating blueberries. Here is a complete nutritional value list of blueberries:
- Calories: 55
- Water: 85%
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Sugar: 10 g
- Fibre: 2.5 g
- Protein: 0.8 g
- Fat: 0.4 g
Besides, blueberries are rich in Vitamin A, C, and K. It also comes loaded with manganese, dietary fibre, and essential antioxidants.
10 Amazing Health Benefits of Eating Blueberries
You will not be able to resist eating this grape-like fruit after learning about the following blueberry benefits. So, have a look:
1. Regulates High Blood Pressure
Let us start with dried blueberry benefits. People with high blood pressure must try eating blueberries to regulate their blood pressure. Consuming about 20 g of dried blueberry powder in the form of a drink helps to regulate blood pressure.
2. Regulates Cholesterol Levels
Blueberries are not good for regulating blood pressure levels but also for regulating cholesterol levels too. They are a rich source of phytosterols, a compound effective in lowering LDL levels.
3. Good for Your Heart Health
Blueberries are wonderful for your heart health. Those who consume blueberries every day are at a lesser risk of suffering from heart diseases. It is due to the presence of flavonoid antioxidants in blueberries that help to make your heart healthy.
4. Eat A Cup of Blueberry a Day and Keep Diabetes at Bay
Trust in the power of eating blueberries every day to fight against diabetes. Some researchers have revealed that blueberries are rich in anthocyanins that have a positive effect on glucose metabolism in the body. This throws an anti-diabetic effect and helps people with insulin resistance.
5. Enhances Cognitive Functioning of the Brain
Go for blueberries to improve the cognitive functioning of the brain. Consuming blueberries help in reducing oxidative stress that is responsible for aging your brain.
6. Act as an Effective Prebiotics
Blueberries also act as effective prebiotics. This is one of the lesser-known dried blueberry benefits.Eating blueberries are good for your gut health, as it is rich in dietary fibre. It helps flush out toxins from the body and promotes the growth of good bacteria.
7. Blueberries Aid in Weight Loss
Weight Watchers can rely on the effectiveness of blueberries to lose weight. It is full of dietary fibre, which makes you feel fuller for a longer period. As a result, there will be a less intake of calories and you will lose weight.
8. Good for Bone Health
Blueberries are rich in calcium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, manganese, magnesium, and Vitamin K. This makes these berries a superfood for your bones. All these nutrients help in strengthening your bones and giving more elasticity to them and your joints.
9. May Prevent Cancer
Some researchers found blueberries to be effective in combating the growth of cancer cells. They are rich in Vitamin A and C. Moreover, they are loaded with antioxidants, which help in preventing lung cancer, mouth cancer, endometrial cancer, prostate cancer, and esophageal cancer.
10. Fights Urinary Tract Infections or UTIs
Enjoy the benefits of eating blueberries while also fighting your UTIs or urinary tract infections. Just like cranberries, blueberries are rich in anti-adhesives that prevent the growth of bacteria called E. Coli from sticking to the bladder walls. This helps to fight urinary tract infections, especially in women.
Blueberries Fruit Side Effects
After learning about the blueberry advantages, now have a look at some side effects of eating blueberries. Blueberries are otherwise a safe fruit to consume, but those who are salicylate intolerant may experience the following side effects of blueberries:
- Acid Reflux
- Gastrointestinal Disorder
- Skin Rashes
The Bottom Line
To get the best Blueberry fruit benefits, we advise you to eat it fresh. There are many benefits of eating blueberries fresh. Also, incorporating blueberries into your diet is easy. The blueberry can also be eaten frozen, or used in various recipes such as smoothies, salads, or baked goods. With so many benefits, the blueberry is a delicious and nutritious addition to any healthy diet. At places, where there is no option to fetch fresh blueberries, you may dry frozen blueberries. Try using them in pancakes, with oatmeal, cereals, or yogurt. It will yield all the above-mentioned blueberry benefits.
What are the 10 benefits of blueberries?
The blueberry is often considered amongst the healthiest fruits on the planet. The blueberry is packed with essential nutrients, antioxidants, and vitamins that offer a host of health benefits. Here are 10 blueberry fruit benefits that make them a worthwhile addition to your diet.
1. Boosts Heart Health: The blueberry is a rich source of antioxidants called anthocyanins, which help to reduce inflammation and oxidative stress. Benefits of blueberries include promoting healthy blood pressure and reducing the risk of heart disease.
2. Improves Brain Function: Studies have shown that regular consumption of the blueberry can enhance cognitive function, improve memory, and slow down age-related cognitive decline. The antioxidants in the blueberry helps to protect brain cells from damage and improve communication between them.
3. Promotes Digestive Health: The blueberry is a good source of fibre, which helps to promote healthy digestion and prevent constipation which make for good health benefits of blueberries. The blueberry also contains compounds that help to reduce inflammation in the gut and prevent digestive disorders.
4. Prevents Cancer: The blueberry is rich in antioxidants, which help to protect cells from damage and prevent the growth of cancer cells. Benefits of blueberries also entail that they are effective in preventing colon, breast, and prostate cancer.
5. Strengthens Bones: The blueberry is a good source of calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, manganese, and zinc, which are essential for strong bones. Regular consumption of the blueberry can help to prevent osteoporosis and improve bone density.
6. Boosts Immunity: The blueberry is rich in vitamin C, which is essential for a healthy immune system. The blueberry also contains compounds that help to boost the production of white blood cells, which fight off infections and diseases.
7. Aids in Weight Loss: The blueberry is low in calories and high in fibre, making them an ideal food for weight loss. The blueberry helps to reduce appetite and promote feelings of fullness, which can lead to reduced calorie intake.
8. Promotes Skin Health: The antioxidants in the blueberry helps to protect the skin from damage caused by UV radiation and pollution. These blueberry fruit benefits help to improve collagen production, which can reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
9. Reduce Inflammation: The compounds in the blueberry help to reduce inflammation throughout the body, which is a major contributor to chronic diseases such as arthritis, heart disease, and diabetes.
10. Improves Vision: The blueberry is a good source of vitamin A, which is essential for healthy vision. The blueberry also contains compounds that help to protect the retina from damage and reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration.
Secondary Benefits of the blueberry:
• Blueberry benefits for female are robust. The blueberry can improve heart health, boost the immune system, aid in weight loss, and reduce the risk of cancer and urinary tract infections in women.
• Blueberry benefits for male entail that the blueberry can improve heart health, improve cognitive function, and reduce the risk of prostate cancer in men.
In conclusion, benefits of blueberries are numerous, and they are an incredibly nutritious and delicious fruit that offer a host of health benefits. Incorporating the blueberry into your diet can help to boost heart health, improve brain function, promote digestive health, prevent cancer, strengthen bones, boost immunity, aid in weight loss, promote skin health, reduce inflammation, and improve vision. With so many blueberry fruit benefits, it's no wonder that the blueberry is referred to as a superfood.
What is the nutritional value of blueberries?
The blueberry is considered as a superfood because of their impressive nutritional content and health benefits of blueberries are many. They are low in calories and high in fibre, vitamins, and antioxidants, making the blueberry a great addition to a healthy diet. Here is a closer look at the nutritional value of the blueberry.
One cup (148 grams) of fresh blueberry comprises:
• Calories: 84
• Carbohydrates: 21 grams
• Fibre: 4 grams
• Protein: 1 gram
• Fat: 0.5 grams
• Vitamin C: 24% of the Daily Value (DV)
• Vitamin K: 36% of the DV
• Manganese: 25% of the DV
• Anthocyanins: 133 mg
As said earlier, the health benefits of blueberries are robust. The blueberry is a great source of essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin E, vitamin B6, folate, potassium, and copper.
A significant health benefits of the blueberry is its high antioxidant content. Antioxidants are substances that shield the body against harm caused by destructive molecules, also known as free radicals. The blueberry contains high levels of a type of antioxidant called anthocyanins, which give them their characteristic blue colour. Studies focussed on blueberry benefits have shown that anthocyanins may have several health benefits, such as reducing inflammation, improving cognitive function, and reducing the risk of chronic diseases, including heart disease, diabetes, and certain types of cancer.
Other Health Benefits Of Blueberries
The blueberry is also high in fibre, which is essential for digestive health. Fibre helps keep the digestive system running smoothly by promoting regular bowel movements and preventing constipation. The fibre from the blueberry also helps regulate blood sugar levels by slowing down the absorption of carbohydrates and reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes.
In addition to their nutritional value, the blueberry is versatile and easy to incorporate into your diet. The blueberry can be eaten fresh, frozen, or dried and are a great addition to smoothies, yogurt, oatmeal, salads, and baked goods. the blueberry also makes a delicious snack on its own.
Overall, the blueberry is a nutritious and delicious addition to a healthy diet. The blueberry has high antioxidant and fibre content make them a particularly beneficial choice for reducing the risk of chronic diseases and promoting digestive health.
Are blueberries good for urinary tract infections?
Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are a common bacterial infection that affect the urinary system. While antibiotics are the primary treatment for UTIs, some people also turn to natural remedies to help alleviate symptoms or prevent future infections. One such remedy is a diet includes the blueberry.
The blueberry contains compounds called proanthocyanidins, which have been shown to help prevent UTIs by preventing bacteria from attaching to the bladder wall and urinary tract. These compounds can be found in both fresh and frozen blueberry, as well as in blueberry juice and blueberry supplements.
Studies have shown that consuming blueberries or blueberry juice can be an effective way to prevent UTIs. Researchers found that women who consumed cranberry-blueberry juice for six months had significantly fewer UTIs compared to a control group. Other published studies have found that drinking blueberry juice daily for six weeks increased levels of good bacteria in the gut, which can help prevent UTIs.
In addition to their potential UTI-fighting properties, the blueberry offers a wide range of health benefits. The blueberry is low in calories and high in fibre, making them an ideal food for weight management. They are also rich in antioxidants, particularly anthocyanins, which help protect cells from damage and reduce inflammation in the body. Consuming the blueberry has been linked to improved heart health, brain function, and digestive health.
It's important to note that while the blueberry may help prevent UTIs, it is not a substitute for medical treatment. In case you suspect a UTI infection, it's important to seek medical attention to receive proper diagnosis and treatment. Untreated UTIs can lead to more serious health complications, including kidney infections.
The blueberry can offer a natural way to help prevent UTIs. Its proanthocyanidin content has been shown to prevent bacteria from attaching to the urinary tract, which can reduce the risk of infection. However, it's important to remember the blueberry should not be consumed as a substitute for medical treatment. If you suspect that you have a UTI, it's important to seek medical attention.