No salad, cocktails, or sauces are complete without squeezing a good amount of lemon juice. This small yellow citrus fruit is an answer to many health issues. Good digestion, better oral health, healthy heart, weight loss, and regulated blood pressure are some of the main Lemon benefits, you can expect out of this tangy fruit. A rich source of Vitamin C, minerals, and antioxidants, lemon has earned a high status for itself among all citrus fruits. Let us acquaint you with the benefits of eating lemon and the benefits of drinking lemon water.
Nutritional Value of Lemon
Before we dig deeper to throw light on the various lemon juice benefits, we recommend you to first go through the list of nutrients found in 100 g of lemon:
- Calories: 29
- Water: 89%
- Carbohydrates: 9 grams
- Fibre: 3 g
- Sugar: 2.5 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Calcium: 25 mg
- Phosphorus: 16 mg
- Magnesium: 8 mg
- Iron: 0.6 mg
Besides, lemons are loaded with essential antioxidants that help fight against free radicals in the body.
10 Amazing Health Benefits of Lemon You Should Know
For people who are curious to know about the various health benefits of lemon, here are the 10 amazing lemon benefits:
- Powerful Immunity Booster: The COVID-19 pandemic has made us aware of the importance of lemons as a powerful immunity booster. This fruit though small in size is high in properties that help to build our overall immunity. Courtesy, its high Vitamin C and antioxidant levels!
- Good for Heart Health: Drinking lemon juice daily is good for your heart health. Again, the powerful combination of Vitamin C and antioxidants in lemons helps to keep your heart healthy. It reduces high blood pressure and thereby prevents the risk of heart strokes.
- Aids in Digestion: Since lemon contains a good amount of soluble fibre it aids in digestion. Taking lemon in any form daily helps to regularize bowel movements. The pectic fibre found in lemons helps in improving the overall gut health.
- Controls High Blood Pressure: Having the juice of lemon helps to control hypertension. If you take lemon juice daily after a good morning walk, you will experience relief from high blood pressure symptoms.
- Helps to Lose Weight: Lemon juice when squeezed into lukewarm water aids in weight loss. The pectin compound found in lemon is a fibre that helps to keep you feel fuller. Various studies have revealed that lemon juice is an ideal way to lose weight. Weight loss is one of the main benefits of drinking lemon water.
- Prevents Oral Disorders: The list of health benefits of lemonis not over yet. This tangy tittle fruit helps in preventing oral disorders and throat infections. Vitamin C found in lemons is a natural remedy for strong teeth and gums. Rich Vitamin C found in lemon also helps prevent chances of Scurvy and bleeding gums.
- Prevents the Formation of Kidney Stones: Likewise, if you incorporate lemon in your meal every day, it will reduce the chances of kidney stone formation. Being very high in citric acid, this tangy fruit helps to improve the citrate levels in the urine. Thereby, preventing the risk of crystal formation in the kidneys.
- Have a Lemon a Day and Keep Cancer at Bay: Lemon is full of Vitamin C as well as antioxidants. Both these together are known to fight against cancerous cells. As a result, there are fewer chances of suffering from cancer because lemons possess anti-cancer properties.
- Lemon Benefits for Skin: Lemon is loaded with Vitamin C and is an ideal fruit to produce more collagen in the skin. As a result, lemon helps in keeping skin supple, healthy, and wrinkle-free.
- Lemon Benefits for Hair: Lemon benefits are not restricted to its oral consumption. You can avail the benefits of lemon juice by applying it along with aloe vera gel and curd as a hair pack. Lemon acts as a perfect natural hair cleanser that can leave your hair shiny and bouncy.
Lemon Fruit Side Effects
We have thrown enough light on the benefits of eating a lemon,it is now time to acquaint you with some of its lesser-known side effects too:
- Overconsumption of lemon may lead to gastroesophageal reflux disease
- May increase the chances of suffering canker sores due to its high citric acid content
- May cause migraines
The Bottom Line
The best thing about lemon is that this is an easily available citrus fruit. You get it easily in markets. Try to use it in a fresh form to enjoy all the above-mentioned health benefits of lemon.Besides, try removing the lemon seeds to avoid side effects while consuming the juice in salads or water as lemon water.
Is eating lemons good for weight loss?
Yes, lemons are good for weight loss. One of the main benefits of drinking lemon water is weight loss. Possessing diuretic properties, this citrus fruit helps to detoxify your body and burn excess fat.
Can I drink lemon water every day?
Yes, you can drink lemon water every day without any fear. However, make sure to drink it in a recommended dose, because going beyond that may cause some health disorders. Drinking lemon water every day helps to keep your body hydrated.
What happens if you drink lemon juice every day?
Drinking concentrated lemon juice daily may lead to enamel erosion due to high citric acid content. So, if you want to drink lemon juice every day, drink it by diluting it in lukewarm water. It will yield weight loss and other benefits.
What diseases can lemon cure?
Lemon is a natural medicine for Vitamin C deficiency disease called Scurvy. Lemon is also a good fruit to prevent the common cold, flu, tinnitus in the ears, kidney stones, throat infections, oral disorders, and bleeding gums.
How much lemon should I drink a day?
The recommended dose of lemon juice in a day is 2 to 3 lemons. Going more than that may lead to some side effects. You can drink 2 to 3 glasses of lemon water in a day.