Shankar is a businessman in Delhi who often travels to other places due to his work. However, he is facing excessive sleep during the day even though he sleeps well at night. He also finds it difficult to wake up in the morning and wants to know the reasons. So, he consulted a doctor to diagnose the problem, who confirmed that he suffers from idiopathic hypersomnia. Currently, he is undergoing idiopathic hypersomnia treatment and is recovering well.
Sleep disorders can affect the physical as well as the mental health of a person. Therefore, one should avoid them to lead a healthy life. Furthermore, several factors will influence a sleep disorder that can lead to potential hazards. Therefore, a person should evaluate them with more attention which will help reduce the symptoms considerably.
What is Idiopathic Hypersomnia?
Idiopathic hypersomnia is a sleep disorder that can lead to excessive sleep during the day, although a person gets enough sleep. The condition can strike anytime, and a person should know how to manage the same with ease. It is a neurological disorder that can lead to incredible tiredness during the day. The condition leads to craving sleep, and a person will have a hard time staying alert, resulting in various problems.
Symptoms of Idiopathic Hypersomnia
The idiopathic hypersomnia symptoms may vary from one patient to another patient that will help select a treatment depending on them. Some of them include excessive fatigue, sleep inertia, difficulties in performing daily activities, not feeling rested after naps, etc. A patient who is having any one of these symptoms should consider visiting a nearby clinic for further diagnosis that gives ways to fix them effectively.
How to Diagnose Idiopathic Hypersomnia?
A doctor will ask a patient to rate the sleepiness scale with some tools that provide ways to determine how sleep affects him/her in various ways. Not only that, he will recommend a sleep diary to record the details of daily sleep and wake times. In some cases, patients should stay in a sleep center overnight with monogram support. It gives ways to monitor brain activity and other functions with high accuracy. A multiple latency test is necessary for patients to measure sleepiness. It even helps to identify the types and sleep stages during daytime naps.
What are the Treatment Options Available for Idiopathic Hypersomnia?
The treatment option for idiopathic hypersomnia will depend on the symptoms and other factors. Physicians will recommend medicines for the condition under three categories in most cases. First, they will allow a patient to improve his/her health condition with optimal results to ensure peace of mind.
A stimulant is a wake-promoting drug meant for treating idiopathic hypersomnia conditions. However, stimulants can cause severe side effects to a patient that requires more attention. Therefore, it is wise to take them only after consulting with a physician.
- Non-Stimulant Wake-Promoting Medications
Non-stimulant wake-promoting medications come in different brand names and aim at increasing dopamine levels. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that instructs the brain when to sleep and when to wake up. It plays an essential role in promoting the mental health of a person. Low levels of dopamine can result in extreme fatigue and other problems. Taking non-stimulant medications allows a person to recover from idiopathic hypersomnia. At the same time, they will cause some side effects, and a patient should seek the advice of a doctor before taking them.
- Sodium Oxybate
Sodium oxybate is an idiopathic hypersomnia medication that is given to patients at bedtime. It will promote deep sleep by cutting down the daytime sleepiness significantly. Apart from that, this medication makes feasible ways to reduce disrupted sleep by addressing the exact needs of a patient.
Also Read: Effective Treatment Of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
Some Other Treatments for Idiopathic Hypersomnia
Some doctors recommend therapy for idiopathic hypersomnia treatment that gives ways to know the underlying causes in detail. Cognitive-behavioral therapy, shortly known as CBT, is a procedure meant for those who want to improve their sleep quality and quantity. It even provides ways to reduce thoughts that can interfere with sleep patterns. A physician will suggest CBT only after examining the symptoms of a patient.
Tips to Reduce the Symptoms of Idiopathic Hypersomnia
- Exercises: Exercises play an important role in enhancing the physical as well as the mental health of a person. Therefore, it is wise to perform them daily, which provides ways to experience the desired outcomes. On the other hand, one should consider choosing the right types of exercises that work well for his/her lifestyle and needs.
- Eating Healthy Foods: Adding healthy foods to a diet plan enables a person to reduce daytime sleepiness and helps to get better sleep at night. However, one should seek support from a dietician to know the type of foods that can induce night sleep.
- Creating a Healthy Environment: A healthy environment is necessary for those who want to relax their bodies on the beds with ease. Keeping a bedroom neat to fall asleep as early as possible is essential. Apart from that, one should make sure that a bedroom is free from noises and other things that can affect a person’s sleep pattern. It is important to cover windows with blinds, curtains, or other things to avoid distractions.
- Avoiding Smoking and Alcohol: Smoking and alcohol consumption can impact sleep considerably. Hence, one should avoid both practices to lead an active lifestyle. They can also affect physical health that requires more attention. People should reduce their intake of alcohol before going to bed.
The Bottom Line
Sleep disorders involve different types, and one should know how to manage them effectively. For example, idiopathic insomnia is a sleep disorder that can lead to excessive daytime sleepiness and other problems. Those who want to recover from the condition should gather more details about the treatments from various sources. This, in turn, gives ways to move further, enabling a patient to lower the problems with high success rates.