Reema, a 24-year-old working professional, always dreamt of wearing dresses of her choice. But due to excessive weight and a series of failures associated with weight loss trials, she felt very disappointed. Then one day, she thought of trying to fast healthily after someone in her network suggested that she check out 16/8 intermittent fasting weight loss. As this is a decision that must be taken related to her health, she decided to know and understand in-depth about intermittent fasting.
In this way, like Reema, even you can reap the promising benefits of this appreciating natural weight loss method. Let’s learn more about intermittent fasting and the different aspects of this unique fasting schedule.
What Is Intermittent Fasting?
Intermittent fasting is the cycle that involves eating and fasting for a specific period. The primary aim of this type of fasting is to lose excess weight without opting for extreme dieting or any other unhealthy choice.
Types of Intermittent Fasting:
Here are different types of intermittent fasting that are quite popular in the present times:
– 16/8 intermittent fasting
– The Warrior Diet
– Overnight fasting
– Alternate day fasting
– Time-restricted fasting
What Is Intermittent Fasting Weight Loss?
16/8 intermittent fasting weight loss involves eating during a period of 8 hours and then fasting for the next 16 hours, which aids in healthily losing weight.
Benefits of 16/8 Intermittent Fasting:
This excellent fasting schedule is highly beneficial for individuals who belong to different age groups and gender:
- Weight loss: 16/8 intermittent fasting weight loss is quite popular in the present times and has helped several individuals to lose weight effectively. One of the latest research results has concluded that individuals who opted for intermittent fasting lost 5% – 8% of the total weight over two to six months, depending on the respective individual’s weight, gender, and overall health condition. Most of the individuals who observed short-term fasting experienced an increasing improvement in their overall metabolic rate. Visceral fat is the abdominal cavity’s harmful fat, one of the prime reasons leading to a wide range of disorders.
- Reduction in inflammation and oxidative stress: This interesting fasting method reduces oxidative stress and excessive inflammation. In this way, after opting for 16/8 intermittent fasting weight loss, you will see appreciating improvements in your body in preventing speedy aging and several disorders.
- Reduce risk for type 2 diabetes: You will be surprised to know that intermittent fasting is highly beneficial in preventing type 2 diabetes. In type 2 diabetes, insulin resistance leads to high blood sugar levels in the respective patient. Intermittent fasting in the right way helps in reducing insulin resistance and blood sugar levels. In one of the recent studies, fasting blood sugar reduces by nearly 5% over 2-3 months. The same study concluded that respective individuals observed a 20% – 30% reduction in the fasting insulin.
- Prevents cancer: Yes, you heard that right! Several research studies have indicated that improvement in metabolic rate is quite evident in most individuals who participated in those studies. It is highly recommended that cancer patients consult their doctors before opting for any new eating or fasting schedule.
Expert Tips for 16/8 Intermittent Fasting:
- Nutritionists and dieticians recommend a balanced diet during the eating schedule. A balanced diet must include whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lean protein sources, and healthy fats.
- Choose fresh fruits and vegetables to get started with the 16/8 intermittent fasting weight loss. If fresh options are not available, you can also opt for frozen or canned fruits and vegetables.
- Opt for whole grains such as oats, multigrain bread, and quinoa.
- Dry fruits and seeds form a crucial part of a healthy diet that also provides healthy fats. This includes flax seeds, chia seeds, avocados, almonds, and walnuts, to name a few. You can also add olive oil and fatty fish to your diet for further benefit to your health.
- You can choose to consume healthy beverages such as water, green tea, sugar-free coffee, and tea during the fasting hours in decent proportions. Depending on your personal choices, you can opt for your favorite healthy beverages to reap benefits and stay happy at the same time. This will help in avoiding dehydration throughout the day.
Risks and Side Effects Associated with 16/8 Intermittent Fasting:
16/8 intermittent fasting weight loss is beneficial, but you need to understand that several aspects are associated with these fasting schedules. Here are some of the most discussed risks and side effects related to this fasting schedule:
- Excessive hunger and cravings: Once you choose the intermittent fasting method, hunger cravings will be quite common. You need to keep yourself ready for this if you want to take this method for weight loss seriously.
- Digestive issues: Bloating, constipation, nausea, and diarrhea are some of the most common digestive problems that individuals opting for intermittent fasting often suffer from during that particular period. Therefore, it is advised to consume a decent amount of high-fiber foods during the eating period.
- Headaches: Headaches associated with fasting impact the front part of the head due to the brain’s frontal region. This headache’s intensity is usually mild to moderate. This occurs due to low blood sugar levels and withdrawal of caffeine.
- Irritability: Mood disturbances and irritability often occur in individuals who opt for intermittent fasting. Some of the individuals also suffer from poor concentration and anxiety for a significant period. So, it would be beneficial if you kept it in mind while you get started with intermittent fasting to avoid any important issues in the later weeks or months.
Thus, individuals opting for the 16/8 intermittent fasting weight loss must understand the different aspects to reap the best benefits and avoid the risks as much as possible. With the right amount of patience and dedication, you will see your body and mind positively changing over a significant period of time. If you have been diagnosed with some medical condition, you must ensure that you consult your doctor and take medical advice seriously and feel great at the same time.