Mrs. Sarbani (44-years-old) works in a bank in Kolkata. Over the past few months, she is dealing with various physical and psychological symptoms of menopause. Though she is consulting a gynecologist to manage the symptoms associated with menopause, still, she is feeling foggy, despondent, and has some hormonal issues. Her best friend advised her to practice some yoga for menopause which will improve her physically and emotionally.
Menopause is a common phenomenon that most women face in their 40s. During this phase, your body experiences menopause symptoms like hormonal changes, stomach upset, hot flashes, weight gain, digestive problems, mood swings, joint and body pain, and sleeping problems.
Yoga is extremely beneficial to deal with your menopause symptoms. Yoga for perimenopause is also very good to strengthen you mentally and physically. Perimenopause is the transitional phase before menopause which has many similarities to puberty, including changing bodies, fluctuating moods, and even pimples. Yoga lessens your emotional pain during menopause and perimenopause phases and also, reduces your joint pain, body aches, and other symptoms. If you want to keep your nervous system balanced and cool, then practice yoga for a wholesome body and mind.
Let’s take a look at some of the yoga poses for your menopause
Read More: A Natural Way To Beat Menopause
1. Shoulderstand (Salamba Sarvangasana)
- To perform this posture, first, you need to lie down on your mat.
- Slide your hips up against the wall. Now, straighten your legs against the wall.
- Carry your toes to your nose (flexed feet).
- Now, hold the legs in the air without taking support from the wall.
- Now, hold the pose for 10 seconds and slowly release your leg downwards
- This posture soothes your brain and relieves stress and mild depression
- Stretches the shoulders and neck
- Tones your legs and buttocks
- Improves digestion
- Helps you to get rid of the symptoms of menopause
- Lessens fatigue and eases insomnia
2. Head-to-Knee Forward Bend (Janu Sirsasana)
Do you want yoga for menopause belly? Then, this could be the ideal yoga pose that will help you to overcome menopause belly fat.
- First, sit down on the mat with your legs extended in front of you.
- Now, bend your right knee and move it in such a way that the bottom of your foot is up against your left thigh.
- Now, create a right angle with your left leg. Try to make the number “4” shape with your body.
- Now, align your belly bottom with the center of your left leg and bend at your groin and try to touch your head to your knee. If your knee is unable to touch the feet, use a towel underneath for support.
- Stretch your arms out and grab your left foot and make a deeper stretch.
- Hold this posture for 10 seconds.
- This posture calms your brain and helps you to overcome depression
- Stretches the spine, shoulders, hamstrings, and groins
- Uplifts your digestion
- Helps relieve the symptoms of menopause
- Alleviates anxiety, fatigue, and headaches
3. Downward-Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
Are you suffering from hot flashes during your menopause? Then, try this yoga pose.
- First, keep your hands and knees on the mat with your hips and knees aligned and hands directly under your shoulders.
- Bend your toes under and straighten your leg
- Now, push up with your hands. Keep your heels as close to the floor.
- Down your head so your ears line up with your shoulders.
- Once you relax your back muscles, you will feel tightness in your legs.
- Hold this pose for 10 seconds and do inhaling and exhaling with each count.
- This posture reduces stress and relieves mild depression
- Invigorates the body
- Stretches the shoulders, hamstrings, calves, arches, and hands
- Fortifies the arms and legs
- Helps you to overcome the symptoms of menopause
- Helps prevent osteoporosis
- Improves digestion
- Soothes headache, insomnia, back pain, and fatigue
- Therapeutic for flat feet and sciatica
4. Fan Posture
This posture has an array of benefits:
- Stand up with one leg’s length apart with toes facing forward.
- Line up your heels behind the wide parts of your feet
- Bend forward at the hip crease and keep your spine long
- Hold on behind your ankles and keep your head and neck long
- Distribute your body weight through all corners of your feet.
- Open through the chest and relax your shoulder blades
This posture strengthens your muscles, especially the hamstring and inner thighs.
5. Bridge Pose
- First, lie down on your back on a mat.
- Now, bend your knees so that your feet are also flat on the mat.
- Keep your heels close to your buttocks as possible and then lift your buttocks against the mat. Bring your hands close as much as you can.
- Elevate your pelvic area as high as possible and stay on the tops of your shoulders
- Keep your chin up and don’t forget to breathe.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds.
- Stretches your chest, neck, and spine
- Soothes your brain and alleviates stress and mild depression
- Improves digestion
- Helps you to overcome symptoms of menopause
- Lessens anxiety, fatigue, backache, headache, and insomnia
- Therapeutic for osteoporosis and sinusitis
Yoga and menopause go side by side and these are the top 5 yoga poses that will help you to deal with all the symptoms of menopause.
Some other yoga poses that are effective in your menopause are
- Cat/cow Pose
- Lunge Pose
- Sphinx Pose
The Bottom Line
Yoga will give you relief from all your menopause symptoms and motivates you to lead post-menopausal life gracefully.