Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable that is loaded with many vitamins and minerals. This vegetable belongs to the family of cabbage and broccoli and is extremely beneficial for many ailments like heart disease, immune system, digestion, and cancer. Cauliflower generally has two varieties (a purple and a white head). Cauliflower supports your weight loss journey and you can conveniently enjoy cauliflower benefits by adding it to your diet. In this article, we are going to unearth some of the health benefits of cauliflower.
One cup (128 grams) of raw cauliflower contains:
- Cauliflower Calories: 25
- Fibre: 3 grams
Cauliflower vitamins are:
- Vitamin C: 77% of the RDI
- Vitamin K: 20% of the RDI
- Vitamin B6: 11% of the RDI
- Folate: 14% of the RDI
- Pantothenic Acid: 7% of the RDI
Minerals in cauliflower are:
- Potassium: 9% of the RDI
- Manganese: 8% of the RDI
- Phosphorus: 4% of the RDI
12 Benefits of Eating Cauliflower
Some amazing Cauliflower uses are:
1. An Ideal Source of Antioxidants: Cauliflower contains antioxidants (glucosinolates and isothiocyanates) and safeguards your body against baleful free radicals and inflammation. The antioxidants in cauliflower have the capacity to control the growth of cancer cells.
Cauliflower is also rich in carotenoid and flavonoid antioxidants that are blessed with anti-cancerous properties and minimize the risk of several other ailments, including heart disease.
2. Supports in Weight Loss: Cauliflower is an ideal substitute for high-calorie foods like rice and flour. Due to its fiber content, cauliflower slows down digestion and gives a feeling of fullness. By eating cauliflower, you can control your daily calorie intake which is beneficial for your weight loss journey.
3. High in Choline: Choline plays a pivotal role in several functions including the integrity of cell membranes, synthesizing DNA and supporting metabolism. Choline supports the development and the production of neurotransmitters that make your nervous system healthy.
People who don’t have adequate choline may develop liver and heart disease, along with dementia and Alzheimer’s. One cup of cauliflower offers 45 mg of choline, which is about 11% of the adequate intake (AI) for women and 8% for men.
4. Contains a Higher Amount of Sulfate: Cauliflower is rich in sulforaphane (an antioxidant) that overpowers cancer development by inhibiting enzymes related to cancer and tumor growth. Some medical studies have claimed that sulforaphane is beneficial in preventing cancer growth by killing cells that are already damaged.
Sulforaphane is effective against colon and prostate cancer. But more studies are required to establish the claims.
5. Easy to Incorporate into the Diet: You can prepare dishes by using cauliflower either steaming, roasting or sautéing. You can even make side dishes like soups, salads, stir-fries and casseroles. Cauliflower is affordable and mostly available in grocery stores.
6. Prevent Stomach Problems: Cauliflower is richer in fibre, thus it improves your digestion. Cauliflower is also effective in removing toxins from the body because of glucosinolate, glucoraphanin and sulforaphane content. It inhibits the growth of H.pylori bacteria. Moreover, cauliflower minimizes stomach problems like stomach ulcers and other gastric diseases.
7. Improves Bone Health: Vitamin C in cauliflower stimulates the production of collagen. Collagen safeguards your joints and bones from inflammatory damage. Cauliflower is also beneficial for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Cauliflower contains a good amount of vitamin K which prevents bone loss in both men and women.
8. Detoxifies Your Body: Cauliflower possesses indole-3-carbinol and sulforaphane. These two components control the function of detoxifying enzymes that extirpate baleful elements from the body.
9. Beneficial For Your Skin: Sulforaphane in cauliflower is beneficial in protecting your skin against damage by UV rays. Sulforaphane protects your body from UV radiation-induced inflammations, skin cancer, UV-induced erythema, and cellular damage.
10. Improves The Growth of Your Hair: Due to the presence of sulfur-containing amino acids (precursor for making hair keratin proteins) and silicon, cauliflower improves the growth of your hair.
11. Minimizes Hypertension: Due to glucoraphanin and sulforaphane content, cauliflower minimizes oxidative stress and also, reduces the levels of LDL. This can also improve the levels of HDL and minimizes blood pressure. Certain compounds in cauliflower are blessed with angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitory activity, and thus, it is effective in treating blood pressure. Moreover, the fiber and omega-3 fatty acids in cauliflower are also beneficial in preventing the hardening of the arteries.
12. Helps in Fetal Growth: Due to the presence of folate, cauliflower is effective in your pregnancy. Folate is beneficial for the neural development of the fetus and also, prevents neural tube defects.
The Bottom Line
Cauliflower is a versatile vegetable and it is quickly available. You may prepare many mouth-watering dishes by using this cruciferous vegetable. But consume it moderately to avoid the side effects.